Saturday, December 14, 2013

True Identity 231

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,"(Romans 8:14-16 NKJV)

If you are asked who you are how would you respond? Often times the response is: " I'm a... (whatever that person's career/profession is).  We live in a world where identities are often mistaken. People confuse their professions, status and memberships, other attachments to temporal things as who they are, instead of the prospect of  identity given through the spirit of adoption by God the Father and sonship. If identity is related to profession, finances, what is left when there are shakings and these things are stripped away? The apostle Paul was of high birth and status, had a great job as a Gamaliel-schooled rabbi/Torah giant, and  highly respected ...he clearly had been one who identified himself through these things, and yet read what he wrote when he "got it": "What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ. (Philippians 3:8 NIV). I have written this post not as an indictment against anyone, but because I am traveling down this road  and even now have not gotten to the end of it.  Our identities are meant to be wrapped up in knowing Jesus. My goal is singular: To know and be apprehended by Jesus, to remain focused on Knowing Him alone. I am focusing on the great truth that His worth surpasses everything else, but it's not always that easy. Nonetheless, my hope, my peace, my joy and content-my everything-can only be found in Him alone.  The demolition and transformation that life as a followers of Jesus brings will continue until last moment on earth. Ruth Bell Graham's gravestone reads:"End of construction...thank you for your patience!"

"Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God." (John 1:12, 13 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment