Sunday, November 4, 2012

Stirred and Shaken 153


He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness. As you go, preach this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven is near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give... I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.
"Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” "
Matthew 28:18-20

I am having my tables turned over-again, and I will try to explain here what I'm feeling.
Two weeks ago I was given a book entitled Radical, by Pastor David Platt, which I highly recommend.
I must confess that I feel both encouraged - and indicted.
  The premise is that we are commanded to make disciples, that we are not here to accumulate material wealth, the American dream- that God's purposes for us are clear. I was unprepared for the depth of the challenges that are put forth, which are right out of the Word....that all believers are to be missionaries,whatever their harvest field is.  We are not here to fulfill an empty American dream that has linked the Gospel to amassing stuff while the world is full of those who have not heard the Gospel, who are sick and hungry, and dying without ever having a chance to know Jesus as Messiah.
I am sold out, love sick for Jesus, don't care about excess accumulation, and we have always been givers, share the Good News often, but I still have children still to raise, and a responsibility to  support my family, and dealing with recovering from a long hospitalization ...my struggles are dealing with the feeling  that I could do more...that I need to do more to share the Gospel, to make disciples, to be more and more radical. So I ask God as I continue to be stirred and shaken: Lead and guide me, empower me with your Holy Spirit, help me not to fear the unknown or be tied to stuff that may be holding me back.
I don't know if you have had any of these questions, but I am confident that as we move forward seeking Him that he will direct our steps towards radical biblical Christianity

No comments:

Post a Comment