Friday, April 12, 2013

Losses and Gains

But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ"
Philippians 3:7, 8


The most important lesson that I have learned in the last 7 years is about losses and gains. When we arrived in Tennessee I had substantial finances, was going to build our dream home. My mind was centered on earthly things and material gains, not Jesus. I had turned aspirations and goals into idols. Thoughts about my messiah? Usually lasted  for about 2 hours on Sundays. But then came  trials, losses, and stripping away-of hundreds of thousands of dollars,  a business, 60% of my hearing, health for a season. It has been said , "You never know Christ is all you need, until He is all you have."  Having had all these things stripped away there is nothing now to keep me from the "surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord". Weighed on the scales of eternity that stuff I chased after was like dust, just garbage, compared to the richness of having been brought so near to my Saviour. In the grand scheme of things these have been small losses and great gains. I concentrate on He who is worthy to receive all glory, honor, power, and praise. Our needs continue to be met, and I am grateful to still have 40% of my hearing...everything emanates from Him. 
Beloved, dwell on Jesus, who is our greatest gain, and forget the losses.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

No comments:

Post a Comment