Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Remembrances/A Letter To My Father

Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you. 
Exodus 20:12

Yesterday was October 22, and being the sentimentalist I am, I remember important dates. I find that I don't have to write some dates onto my calendar, they're just engrained into my consciousness. October 22 is such a date-the anniversary of my father's passing.
Below is a letter I've written to my father:

Dear Dad,
It's hard to believe that you have been gone 24 years. I am so thankful that you lived to be 82, and considering that you were 50 when I was born I consider myself blessed that I had you for 32 years.
I have some great memories of you, Dad, remembrances I cherish: the horseplay at bedtime when you tickled me till I couldn't breathe... you carrying me to bed when I was a little boy when I feigned falling asleep in front of the TV... the scent of your cologne...your amazing cooking when you were home. Your career managing restaurants kept you very busy and I didn't get to spend a lot of time with you when I was young. I find that I took your life span for granted, that somehow I never really considered the inevitability of your passing. I had so many questions I wanted to ask you, but I can't now. I knew that you wouldn't live forever. You had a couple bouts with cancer, but I did not rearrange my schedule in order to spend more time with you, especially the last 2 years.
I wanted to know so much more about your life but the opportunity never came. I wanted to share with you  the changes that Yeshua had made and continued to make in my life, and I know that you saw how different I had become, but time slipped away. I know that you did not understand my decision to believe in Him but you still loved me.  I was a newlywed and my job required many of my hours.
Although I wish that I could go back and do things differently I can't.
Today I choose to be thankful.
I thank God for you, for the love you gave me, and for those positive qualities I received as your son. I choose to embrace, cherish, and honor my memories of you. Today I only know in part, "seeing through the mirror dimly" as Paul said,  but one day "I will know and be fully known", and in that day I look forward to seeing you again.
I love you,
Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment