Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Vision 229

You is kind. You is smart. You is important.”
― Aibileen Clark to toddler in The Help

When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon, he said, “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.” The Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?” “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? 
My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.” 
Judges 6:12, 14, 15 

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others."
Philippians 2:3, 4

How do you see yourself?
How do you see others?
How do you think our Father sees us?

In The Help,  Aibileen speaks life over her young charges, declaring that they are kind, smart, and that they matter (are important). I was reminded as I watched this that these are words not forgotten as we mature, just as words spoken that are hurtful are not forgotten.
They either nourish our lives or poison them.
Gideon is one of my favorite Bible personalities. In his self assessment to the angel, I see myself, and in my mind echo th words that were spoken over me by my mother that scarred me: " you'll never be half the man your father is."  Gideon grew up being reminded of what he couldn't do, as well as his family's diminutive position within Israel's tribe hierarchy. But God saw Gideon's heart, and He had a different plan.
Using our natural eyes we tend to see ourselves one of two ways: very low self esteem like Gideon, thinking they have nothing to offer, or an inflated ("legend in their own mind") conceited ego/mindset   as if  they're "God's gift", which causes them to look down on everyone else.
We can also look at others in their current state and see only their many faults, instead of seeing them the way God sees each of us-a work in progress. A vessel needing to be filled. A possibility. Worthy of receiving the same grace and mercy that our Heavenly Father has extended to us.  Revelation  comes from The Helper, the Holy Spirit, who creates a new mindset, revealing that all things are possible-for each of us- through and with Jesus.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

No comments:

Post a Comment