Monday, January 27, 2014

Life and Light 98

As I got ready to turn in for the night, I turned off my ceiling lamp in the bedroom.
I noticed that there was still quite a bit of light in the room, so I looked around for the source of this light. I discovered it to be none other than the small clock on my bedside table. The clock does have a dimmer feature, so I lowered the intensity of the light. I contemplated how visible the illumination was in the darkness. I found myself reflecting on a spiritual truth:

 "In Him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (John 1:4, 5 NIV)

In the darkness of this world and at times and seasons in each of our own lives, there is only one true light. It emanates from the "Son"- Jesus, the light of all mankind. Apart from Him and without His presence, we would find ourselves cast into utter darkness, a place of "weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth" (agony and distress), but in His presence (where He desires us all to be) is light, which translates into many facets. In Him is life- the peace beyond understanding, the joy that is our strength, the Rock to build this life on, provision and healing, a shelter from every storm.

The light of my clock has become a symbol for me.
Darkness may try to overcome us, but the Light of men-Jesus-cannot be overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment