Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Light (Or haOlam) and Life

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."
John 1:1-5

April 21, 1987, is my birthday. No, not my physical birthday, but the one that really counts- my spiritual birthday, when I received the Lord Jesus as my Savior, and passed from death and the certainty of eternal torment and separation from God, into life, then, now and for eternity. That day I received my first Bible, which I had previously scoffed at, but never read even one page,(I was an atheist, liberal, Darwinist) and at the suggestion of the friend who witnessed to me, I went home that evening, went straight into my room, sat down at my desk, opening almost naturally to the Gospel of John, chapter 1...and when I did, and began reading: IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD AND THE WORD WAS WITH GOD AND THE WORD WAS GOD...There was supernatural, breath taking Light streaming from my Bible, my eyes and ears were opened, and that very night I was delivered from drug abuse, drinking, smoking, a promiscuous party lifestyle, a depraved and hard heart, and as I fed upon His Word, I began to walk in the Light only Jesus can give. In His Light is real life... not church and Sunday part-time Christian holiness charades, but allday, everyday holiness, where we don't have to ask ourselves the question, "What would Jesus do?", because our lives are hidden in Him, and acting and thinking like Him is who and what we are...and it is no longer we who live but Jesus in us - allday, everyday disciples...brothers and sisters, burning, loving, sanctified Jesus freaks. For the most part, the "world" doesn't get it, doesn't get me...but I am fine with that. I was one of them, part of the world ...but when confronted with His love - His Light- it changed everything.

3 comments:

  1. Were spiritually about the same age brother,
    Dec.13, 1986 for me, thats when the light turned on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen... I long to see my Bridegroom- " his left hand is behind my head and His right arm embraces me" Song of Songs 2:6

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh, Hugh, or HMN, I'm not sure that was the scripture you really wanted, at least for those of us who received a visual interpretation of Song of Songs!

    ReplyDelete