Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Reason for Excellence

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Phil. 4:8

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ,
Phil.1:9-10

If someone forces you to go one mile, go two miles with him.
Matt.5:41

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Col.3:12-14

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Col.3:17

In this world of mediocrity, where so many are content to do the minimum, or be average, why should we as Christians aspire to be extraordinary, exceptional, excellent?
For me, the question is answered by remembering who I belong to, and who I love - Jesus, the One who bought and paid for me, the Lover of my soul. I am a son, brother, co-heir, bond-servant, and bride of the Bridegroom, the Lord God Almighty. He redeemed me, not only from sin and death, but also from being average and mediocre. I am always on His mind, He paid the ultimate price for me. He is the driving force that makes me want to go the extra mile, to have exceptional character, to be all that I can be. Excellence is an outgrowth of my expression of love for Him who loves me, part of the promised abundant life... It is love that drives every aspect of, and defines my existence as a disciple. My desire is to please My Father/King/Bridegroom. How should I do any less?

No comments:

Post a Comment