Friday, September 7, 2012

Life and Death

"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world but lose his own soul?

Recently I went through a serious illness, and hovered between life and death. I found that as I went closer to "the veil" that what I was concerned with was the majestic radiance of being near the throne room of God, and those I loved here...but I had no thoughts or regards for material possessions, assets or "stuff"...meaningless things that count for nothing.
People that are close to death don't think about their checkbooks or earthly possessions, they have become of no value.
The paradigm that centers on eternal values, storing up treasures in heaven, is in the forefront of my mind and spirit, that which has the highest value is Jesus my Messiah, praising and worshipping Him alone.
I chose not to enslave or indenture myself to things that will pass away, rust and decay, even as many churches recite a mantra of prosperity, surrounding themselves with shiny new cars, huge houses, and vacation homes,  and other worthless trinkets...
Jesus said, " Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth...but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
Everyday as we live, move, and find our being/ purpose wrapped up in following Jesus, we should be learning these  invaluable truths.
Let us use the resources we are blessed with for the advancement of the Gospel and for Jesus , not for accumulating and hoarding for ourselves...let us "waste our lives" on the one thing that really matters...Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment