Monday, October 1, 2012

Less Is More

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
John 13:34, 35

If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.
John 15:10-14

Hebrew is a very economical language. It has been estimated that a 100 page English language document would be about 1/3 of the text when translated into Hebrew.
As Jesus poured into His disciples on this  Passover, He had much to say. What was the most important message, most important instructions that He had for them? Twice He tells them...elaborating in John 15: "Love each other as I have loved you". Is there any room for gossip, lying,  coveting, anger, unforgiveness, selfishness, etc., when real love and all its manifestations rules our hearts, minds, and spirits?
I am reminded of these verses constantly, especially in the course of human relational dynamics. I have to confess that walking out Jesus' most important commandments isn't always easy. We suffer hurts, agitation, aggravation, disagreements, just like Yeshua did. He tells us..."anyone who has faith in me, will do what I have been doing" (John 14:12), and "greater things than these shall we do"...
Remember that Jesus said : on these two commandments hinges the Law and the Prophets, and He used his time economically, expressing the sum of the scriptures in all it's power and majesty as written in the verses above...
Less is more...simply love the Lord your God, and one another, furiously, and let this paradigm frame everything else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment