Monday, January 14, 2013

The Miracle of Grace 207

Pride  goes  before destruction,
And a haughty spirit before a fall.
Proverbs 16:18

There is a way that seems  right to a man,
But its end is the way of  death.
Proverbs 16:25

Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for;
through the fear of the  Lord  a man avoids evil.
Proverbs 16:6

As a new believer reading the holy scriptures, I remember the shock and surprise I felt when I read about the fallings of  people in the Bible. I am talking about the fallings of many, who had the blessings of the Lord on their lives, ministries and kingdoms: Saul, David, Solomon, Samson,  and so many others, from days of old right up till today. Somehow I expected them, because of legend, to be flawless and perfect heroes, not to actually have been real people who had to deal with lust, anger, jealousy, and the corrupting impact of wielding absolute power. They all had confidence and pride in themselves- the result of forgetting that it is God alone who is our everything.
I remember thinking, even saying to the Lord, just as Peter said, reflecting the opinions of ten of the other disciples -"Jesus, I will never deny you, never turn my back on you, never be one of the fallen that I've read about in yout Word.  How naive of me, as I did not know what lay ahead of me, wasn't aware of the trials and temptations that would present themselves. I, like us all, would (and will) be tried, sifted, and refined, and as the storms swirl about the only safe place is found in Jesus, through the amazing grace He affords us.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God– Ephesians 2:8 
All of us-all of us-sin and fall short (Rom.3:23),  and in these days as even the elect fall like flies,  my goal is simple:
Cling to Jesus as tightly as I can, thanking Him for His abundant grace, mercy, and redemption because of His finished work on the cross and strive to abide in Him.
I share the lyrical sentiments of the late Rich Mullins:"So hold me Jesus, I'm shaking like a leaf..."
Beloved, let us be ever mindful, never prideful...maintain our straight ahead focus, and not turn to the left or right.
As John Bradford said," There but for the Grace of God go I".

No comments:

Post a Comment