Sunday, January 6, 2013

Contenders

Behold,  children are a heritage from the  Lord , 
the fruit of the womb a reward. 
Like arrows in the hand of  a warrior 
are the children  of one's youth. 
Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! 
He shall not be put to shame when 
he contends with his enemies  in the gate. 
Psalms 127:3-5

Yesterday I bid my 19 year old daughter goodbye, at least for the time being.
It is difficult as a parent to let go, and yet is so necessary
She has begun a new phase of her life at university 600 miles away,
she has a new residence, and is an adult now,
stepping into all the privileges and responsibilities that go along with that.
There is separation anxiety, to be sure, mostly on my part I think,
but my anxiety is mitigated by what I know to be so true about her:
she loves the Lord Jesus, and mercy, grace, and lovingkindness
will follow her all the days of her life,
she has within her the spirit of Deborah...
wisdom, bravery, and a warrior's heart.
She is learning to be a contender for the Kingdom of God.

"Praise be to the  Lord  my Rock, who trains my hands for war,  my fingers for battle.
He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer,
my shield, in whom I take refuge"
Psalms 144:1,2a


No comments:

Post a Comment