Thursday, January 24, 2013

Power in His Name/Correlations

"Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, “Who is it you want?” “Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “I am he,” Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.)  When Jesus said, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground."
John 18:4-6

There is power in the name of Jesus! In this scripture the soldiers, officials, priests, and others came looking to arrest Jesus, I am uncertain exactly how many gathered to take one "man" into custody, but there was quite a crowd, and they got much more than they bargained for.
At the mere proclamation of Jesus revealing Himself,  "I am He", there was a supernatural shock wave that radiated outwards from Him, and they were literally blown off their feet!
As Christians, imitators of Jesus, we have been given authority to preach the Gospel, and over all m
"I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.  However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”
Luke 10:18-20
Jesus tells us, encourages us, to use His name when we pray, as we work, as we live:
"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.
You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."
John 14:13, 14
It's His power, not ours; it's by His Spirit, not by our strength or might, beloved, that Kingdom work is done. There is an inverse correlation regarding our weakness/ strength quotient: we are most likely to call on the name above all names when we realize how powerless and weak we really are. It is in the place of weakness that pride and arrogance have vanished and the heart cries are uttered...
"In the name of Jesus..."

No comments:

Post a Comment