Sunday, January 1, 2012

Leading and Following

Jesus answered, “ You must follow me.”
John 21:22b

"Then he said to them all: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me".
Luke 9:23

I was discussing aspects of spiritual life with a mature and respected brother of mine the other day, and the topic of shepherding came up. My brother has been a pastor and leader before and the comment that he made to me that struck me was, " As a pastor, I led by example...I would never ask my sheep to do anything that I didn't already do, and model, for them first."
Further meditation on this question: I asked the Lord, why are believers referred to as sheep, and not as cattle, or other animals?
The answer came quickly: Sheep are not driven as cattle are, they are led, with the flock responding to the vision of the shepherd and the sound of his voice.
"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." (John 10:27 NIV)
We are to keep our eyes fixed on the Good Shepherd, Following Him, but we are also shepherds to others in our lives. Follow the example of Jesus, and others who have taken their places in the "great cloud of witnesses". In your church, whether you are the pastor, elder, usher, or part of the body, in your home and family, in the workplace-wherever-follow Jesus' example, and you'll find that others will do likewise!

No comments:

Post a Comment