Monday, July 9, 2012

Toppling 183

"Do not follow other gods, the gods of the peoples around you; for the Lord your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land." 
Deuteronomy 6:14, 15 

After the Philistines had captured the ark of God, they took it from Ebenezer to Ashdod. Then they carried the ark into Dagon's temple and set it beside Dagon. When the people of Ashdod rose early the next day, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the Lord! They took Dagon and put him back in his place. But the following morning when they rose, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the Lord! His head and hands had been broken off and were lying on the threshold; only his body remained. 
1 Samuel 5:1-4 NIV84


  In 2005 I began to think about buying a motorcycle, a BMW K1200LT. It was sleek, powerful, advanced, sexy, and expensive. We were planning a move, and although I had owned motorcycles in my youth, I had not ridden one in decades, but I had begun to desire this thing.
I owed it to myself, I deserved it, I told myself.
I thought about it often, had the image as a screen saver on my computer,
the brochure placed prominently on my office desk, and not so coincidentally, this consuming preoccupation came at a time when my affections towards the Lover of my soul had been waning.
 I was less than lukewarm, no, I had grown cold, had taken my eyes off the Perfecter of my faith. I was dissatisfied and in the winter of my discontentment.
 I was sure this bike would fix all of that, and so I pursued acquiring it.
 Within the year we had sold our home and relocated, and within the week of settling into our new home I bought this thing that I thought would be the answer.
But unknown to me at the time I had made this bike an idol; the Lord's jealousy and burning anger was about to be demonstrated. Although I had previously owned five motorcycles, and had never dropped a single one, not even one single time, the very first time I got on the BMW I made it to the end of the driveway, and as I came to a stop before entering the roadway my foot inexplicably slipped in some loose gravel. There in the presence of my wife, daughters, and a jealous God it leaned over just a little bit too far.  Suddenly and shockingly I realized that I could not prevent it from toppling over!
It cost $600 to fix the damage, my pride, and a back injury that still plagues me.
That motorcycle never bought me a moment of real satisfaction.
 I sold it a year later, taking a huge loss in depreciation as well.
 It took me years to see the spiritual implications, but it was clearly an event that contributed to my repentance and true awakening as God graciously revealed Himself to a broken and humbled man.
God detests every idol, every one.
Small or large, whatever the thing is, if it supplants affections that are intended for and deserved by our Master/Father/ Bridegroom, they will be toppled.
Sometimes it happens sooner, sometimes later, but it will come down, just as the idol of Dagon was toppled and destroyed in the presence of the Ark of the Covenant.
Do you have any idols in your life beloved?
What is hiding in the corners of your heart?
 We cannot walk in our intended fullness until they are toppled.
So trash every idol, every one!
 Don't try to hide any, nothing is hidden from the eye of the Almighty.
 He wants 100% of our hearts, not just 99%;
He will search out and pursue us until that last 1% belongs to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment