Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Practical Lesson

"For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have?  But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently."
Romans 8:24, 25

Have you ever heard someone say, "God, please give me patience, and give it to me right now?"
Well, this is my prayer. It's not just mine though, I would have to say that most of us struggle with grasping the discipline of  learning to be patient, learning to wait on the Lord.
One of  my most recent blogs deals with this very thing; it's indeed a major struggle!
Yesterday was Shabbat and we were having a guest over for a Shabbat meal, and I needed a loaf of challah bread. Now, we normally just buy one from a supermarket bakery...it's fast, easy, and convenient. So I'm thinking to myself, "I'll just go buy a challah", but the Holy Spirit breaks in and whispers: " this Shabbat, Hugh, you and Elli are going to make your own challah." I google "challah recipes" and as I am reading the recipe I notice the primary ingredient : patience.  It takes over 4 hours to mix, knead, proof and bake challah, but the end result was this big, beautiful challah loaf, and I thanked my Father for that small and practical lesson.
Patience. It is required, not easily attained, and of course, it takes time. Embrace it,beloved,  learn it, and enjoy the fruit it will ultimately bear.

"But those who  wait on the  Lord shall renew  their  strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint. "
Isaiah 40:31 

No comments:

Post a Comment