Monday, February 18, 2013

Gifts in Unusual Wrapping 194

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
Romans 8:28 NIV84)

Last night we had a couple over for dinner; and although we have been friends for some time,
they had only been to our home once before. As we stood in the kitchen, I began to recount some of our history in this house and how things happened,  seemingly terrible events that ended with incredible blessings. Take our roof, for instance...the original roof that really needed repair was dmaged in a windstorm that resulted in our house getting a new roof, that was much better than the original. Consider the floorings and master bathroom ... on a Thanksgiving Day the hot water heater which was located in the master bedroom closet (of all places!) burst a main water supply pipe and the floors were damaged throughout the house. We ended up with an insurance settlement more than sufficient to replace the grungy worn out flooring throughout the whole house and remodel our master bathroom .
The blessing that was really over the top for me was what happened as a result of my recent illness and hospitalization. I had prayed for some time for the Lord to give me more time to spend with my family. My youngest daughter was growing up so quickly, my job requiring so many hours.
I was stricken with a MSSA (staph) infection so severe that it brought me through heaven's threshold into the throne room of the Almighty, causing endocarditis which is an inflammation of the interior lining of the heart muscle. It damaged one of my heart valves and severely damaged my hearing.
I convalesced at home though for 5 months, at the same time we decided to home school Elli, and so I was able to spend 5 months with my wife and my youngest daughter. How many of us get to spend such a significant amount of uninterrupted real time with those we love, especially our children in their formative years?

Isaiah 61:3 reads that God will "give a crown of beauty for ashes"; how amazing is that thought?

Beloved, perhaps you are in the middle of trials, or sitting on an "ash heap", or  maybe you have just passed through one of life's valleys. Search your memories and recount how many times God has given you beauty for ashes, restored what locusts have devoured, or replaced mediocrity-with something extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment