Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Deferment/ Expectation v. Reality

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life."
Proverbs 13:12

Stricken with a life threatening illness and hospitalized for a month, followed by 5 months of healing and convalescence...I was more than ready to start back to work, or so it seemed.
 I had been approved to start driving a car again. I had been going faithfully to rehab for cardio and vertigo issues, completed the sessions, and so I scheduled my return. I was welcomed back with tremendous warmth from all my colleagues, which was really great! But that day I fell flat on my face. I encountered difficulties I had not expected.  I had high expectations for myself; for my performance and ability to adapt, but I left confused and tired.
My hopes had not been realized, my expectations were in fact not realistic.
I was reminded by everyone that I needed to take it easy, take it slow, and learn to be patient and learn to wait on my Jevovah Rophi, my Healer.
It's true; hope deferred makes the heart sick. I have had more than my share of weariness and weaknesses. I confess here and now that I am impulsive and am inclined to run ahead on my own, not waiting on the Lord. Like an impatient Abraham who couldn't wait for the Lord to bring him a son without Sarah's bright idea, or Moses, who when dealing with a thirsty Israel struck the rock twice,  not waiting for the water to gush out as an always faithful God said it would.
My impatience.  I struggle to acquire and apply patience,  the very thing that is essential to reaching higher, diving deeper and really getting the fullness of the relationship that the Father promises.
Do you?
"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;  
but those who hope in the  Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:29-31

No comments:

Post a Comment