Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fighting Off Unbelief 284

Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
 John 14:5

So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
 But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it.” 
 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!”
Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
 John 20:25-28

Thomas had been with Jesus, and he was witness to all that the Saviour said and did, but yet he struggled with unbelief. Thomas was also known as "Didymus" meaning "twin" - perhaps twin hearts - in my spirit I see this as a euphemism for doublemindedness- the root of his struggles. Spiritual principles are the opposite of natural worldly principles. The world says, "Show me and then I'll believe, Jesus says," Believe and then I will show you".
When faced with difficulties in our lives, and seeming impossibilities, let us put our fingers into Jesus' side, stop doubting and trust the One who is sure and unshakeable.
Today cast aside all double-mindedness... Believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment