Monday, April 16, 2012

Learning to Live/Dying 295

"I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me."
John 12:24-26

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
Galatians 2:20

In the desert the children of Israel wandered forty years on what could have been a two week journey, but there was this problem that had much to do with what is perhaps the greatest of stumbling blocks: unbelief, and along with it, a stubborn inclination to hang on to things and habits that are of no real value, and in fact, are usually detrimental to our maturation as believers. The Lord kept the children of Israel out there in the desert until the unbelievers, who couldn't see God past themselves, had died, and those remaining, who had seen God's mighty hand move so often, were ready to move forward as they trusted and praised the almighty magnificent God, not themselves.
Many of us, I daresay, all, have travelled through the desert...some are in that place even now.
At the beginning of the journey, we are heavily laden with "things" and plans of our own, with eyes focused on preserving control over this stuff, giving them idolatrous attention, rather than focusing on the Master and His plans, unable to see how He furiously and wonderfully He desires relationship with us.
The "Promised Land" lies on the 'other side of the Jordan", the place in our hearts where we leave behind our unbelief, fear, unforgiveness, and our other fleshly desires, when we die to ourselves.
When that seed falls to the ground, an incredible new bounty can sprout out of it, producing a life we may have never thought possible, because it runs counter to everything the natural mind considered. The proclamation has to be made by us: Not my will, Lord, but Yours.
Real life, the abundant life, only comes from really knowing Jesus, and that revelation knowledge and ability to hear the voice of the Good Shepherd that comes only as we surrender totally to Him, His perfect will, and His amazing plan for each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment