Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chasing

"What does the worker gain from his toil?
I have seen the burden God has laid on men.
He has made everything beautiful in its time.
He has also set eternity in the hearts of men;
yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end."
Ecclesiastes 3:9-11

This sense of eternity, a certain mortality is in my heart.
The sense that I must work, while there is daylight, resonates with me.
I recall some of the things my mother reflected on during the last days of her life. She was sick and knew that time was short, and she asked me questions, wanting affirmation of her life, and I remember her saying, "Where did the years go? I was just a young woman, with my life in front of me..." there were many "I wishes", and " I did the best I could's..."

We are to be good stewards of what God gives us, which is everything, especially our time. Eternity ...is set in our hearts by our Maker, our heavenly Father. He gives each of us our own talents to invest for Him...so short is this life, even what we consider a "long" life, that we turn around, blink, once, twice, and that's all folks! we are not to spend it, waste it, chasing worthless and meaningless things and activities that will rust and decay, or not remembered a day, a week, a year from now.
The Word describes this earthly life as a "vapor", and then we stand before a holy God who will want an account for what He gave us to invest for Him: our talents and our very lives.
So how while you spend, rather invest, whatever the balance of this life remains for you?
Consider it soberly yes, but joyfully, let your light shine, let your life reflect Jesus...it's not about us...it's all about Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment