Friday, March 2, 2012

Hiccups

Then Elijah commanded them, “Seize the prophets of Baal. Don't let anyone get away!” They seized them, and Elijah had them brought down to the Kishon Valley and slaughtered there.
And Elijah said to Ahab, “Go, eat and drink, for there is the sound of a heavy rain.” So Ahab went off to eat and drink, but Elijah climbed to the top of Carmel, bent down to the ground and put his face between his knees.
“Go and look toward the sea,” he told his servant. And he went up and looked.
“There is nothing there,” he said.
Seven times Elijah said, “Go back.”
The seventh time the servant reported, “A cloud as small as a man's hand is rising from the sea.”So Elijah said, “Go and tell Ahab, ‘Hitch up your chariot and go down before the rain stops you.’ ”
Meanwhile, the sky grew black with clouds, the wind rose, a heavy rain came on and Ahab rode off to Jezreel. The power of the Lord came upon Elijah and, tucking his cloak into his belt, he ran ahead of Ahab all the way to Jezreel.

1 Kings 18:40-46

Fresh from an amazing day in the Lord-the conquest of 450 false prophets, being instrumental in the breaking of a major drought in Israel, and running on foot in the power of the Spirit of the Lord, beating Ahab's chariot, he now gets some very scary and threatening news: Jezebel is fuming mad and she wants him dead. Elijah does what most anyone would do. He ran away and hid down in Beersheva:

Now Ahab told Jezebel everything Elijah had done and how he had killed all the prophets with the sword. So Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah to say, “May the gods deal with me, be it ever so severely, if by this time tomorrow I do not make your life like that of one of them.”
Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, while he himself went a day's journey into the desert. He came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” Then he lay down under the tree and fell asleep.
All at once an angel touched him and said, “Get up and eat.” He looked around, and there by his head was a cake of bread baked over hot coals, and a jar of water. He ate and drank and then lay down again.
The angel of the Lord came back a second time and touched him and said, “Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you.” So he got up and ate and drank. Strengthened by that food, he traveled forty days and forty nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God.

1 Kings 19:1-8

Elijah had a hiccup... He was moving in power and strength as he believed, obeyed and trusted God. But Elijah was just a man, yes,a prophet of the Lord , but flesh and blood nonetheless, so when Jezebel's messenger showed up with that threatening message, fear and doubt came in, and his knee-jerk reaction was to get as far away, as fast as he could. The Lord sent an angel to him, bringing refreshment and nourishment, enabling him to travel forty days and nights to Horeb- to place where Moses saw and heard the Lord in the burning bush, and where waters gushed from the rock to hydrate a million and a half plus people. Horeb is a place of revelation, restoration, and revival, and Elijah had to travel 40 days and nights to get there.

I have encountered similar experiences in my own life. I have struggled as I continue to write this little blog, God is teaching me a lesson in obedience, and re-enforcing perseverance in me. I have been attacked, been unsubscribed, which is hurtful to my pride, which in the end has to be crucified anyways so I can move forward doing what my Master wants-not what I want.
I would've given in to discouragement and stopped writing already, because I have no idea who reads these, if anyone at all. In the end, if the Word is planted in one person and grows 20,30, 100 fold it is worth it all.
My obedience has been better than sacrifice.
So we move from mountain top to valleys, but then, back to mountain tops, with plenty of travel and process between. I have found that regardless of the reports, God requires I must have purity of faith, because without faith it is impossible to please my Creator/Master/God who is able to move the heavens and the earth, a Bridegroom who inclines His ear to us, and who will move at the sound of our voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment