Monday, March 5, 2012

Two-Way Streets

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (Ephesians 5:1-2

The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’There is no commandment greater than these.”
“Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
Mark 12:31-33

What is life without relationship?
There is no such thing as a one-way relationship. By very definition, the term relationship denotes a back and forth, giving and taking, loving and being loved.
It can be said that we get back what we give, which is why Jesus said, "It is better to give than to receive." - it's what we invest into establishing and maintaining anything that really matters..
It takes effort and investment, we all have commitments and demands on our time and energy, but all things in life that are valuable, especially building relationships require effort...they just don't happen. We deal with constraints- there is only a certain number of hours in each day, days in each week.
We are vessels of sorts, which I envision in the supernatural as a sort of teapot, with a spout and a lid. Both the lid and the spout have to be kept open though to operate properly.
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled..." there are forces, emotions, that can slam the lid shut and choke off the spout - selfishness and the spirit of offense, are two of these forces.
I have a heightened sense of awareness in these interesting times we are living in;
of my talents-and my deficencies. This is a season for introspection for me, a time to take a good look in the mirror, and I can't say that I am altogether satisfied with how I've invested into relationships that should matter.
If Jesus asked me the questions, "Who is your neighbor?" and "what does "loving your neighbor actually look like?", how would I answer him?
If it's not I who live, but Christ in me, then I need to let Him establish and manage my relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment