Monday, February 21, 2011

A Conversation with Jesus

33 So Pilate went back into the governor’s residence, summoned Jesus, and asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?” 34 Jesus replied, “Are you saying this on your own initiative, or have others said it to you about me?” 35 Pilate answered, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your own people and your chief priests handed you over to me. What have you done?” 36 Jesus replied, “My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my servants would fight to prevent me being handed over to the Jewish authorities. But now my kingdom is not from here.” 37 Then Pilate said, “So you are a king!” Jesus replied, “You say that I am a king. I have been born and have come into the world for this reason—to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.” 38 Pilate asked, “What is truth?”
John 18:33-38

Jesus answered, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin."
John 19:11


Pontius Pilate's conversation with Jesus was profound. We are not really told much about the rest of the life of Pilate, but I am convinced in my Spirit that the conversation that took place in Pilate's residence with Jesus, and the events that immediately followed, changed him forever. His wife, Claudia, had just sent him a message not to harm Jesus in any way, as she had a dream that tormented her...but Pilate gave the leaders of the Sanhedrin what they demanded- Jesus' crucifixion - but neither he nor the others knew that they were all just players in a story that Jesus and His Father had already written, that Jesus had to die to take away the sins of the world. Pontius Pilate had sat face to face with the Lord and Jesus' words would resonate within his spirit for the rest of his days.
Smith Wigglesworth said, "How the outlook changes when Jesus comes!"
In our own lives many of us have had the life altering conversation, that spirit-to-spirit talk when the heart of God matches up exactly with our broken and empty hearts, and in that instant we knew what Truth is, and we are never be the same again. Deep calls to deep, the voice of the Good Shepherd never stops calling to us, counseling, reassuring, bringing peace, joy in the midst of trials, teaching us what real love and intimacy is all about. The amazing thing is that Jesus is not a historical figure to his disciples. He is alive, and we have access to Him today- He is the same, yesterday, today, and forever. Spend time with Him, don't miss your appointment with Him today. It is the most important thing you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment