Friday, February 4, 2011

Pressing On 273

 "But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ  and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.  I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,  and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.
  Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 3:7-14

"I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me..." He took hold of me, and every thing has changed. Imagine a balance scale with everything the world values on one side and all that Jesus is on the other... The things of this world cannot compare, or even come close to all that we can have in Jesus. This 12 months has been the most monumental of my life...it wasn't the most prosperous, I didn't get promoted at my job, and in fact, I earned less money and we had to do without many of the material trappings we had grown accomstomed to, however, the year has been the richest, sweetest, and fullest ever. This was the lesson of a lifetime; that real life is not about items, entertainment, jobs, money... Life is found in relationship with the Uncreated Creator, the Lover of our souls. When the debris we cling to and chase after is swept away there He is. Patient, loving, full of grace and compassion, and yet- He is a raging, all consuming fire, jealous Jealousy... Taking hold of us, sometimes embracing, sometimes shaking us like as ragdoll in a puppy's jaws.
We can't change what happened yesterday, but in front of us looms the prize: our rightful inheritance as co-heirs with Jesus.
Beloved, claim your inheritance today.

2 comments:

  1. Good Word Hugh, the older I get the more I see that this world with all the glitter has nothing to offer, yet what waits us in the world to come, Paul said it was not lawful for him to speak of because of the magnificence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, this world...has nothing to offer those who claim the right to be called children of God, except to do my part to help bring in the Harvest. I wouldn't trade places with Bill Gates, a Hollywood star, or any other who has received their reward here. The least of the mansions in Heaven surpasses the best the Beverly Hills has to offer!

    ReplyDelete