Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Politics of Never

If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."
Genesis 4:7

Above all, my brothers, do not swear--not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your "Yes" be yes, and your "No," no, or you will be condemned.
James 5:12

Have you ever said, " Well, I'll never do this, or I'll never do that?"
It is my experience that whenever I have said that I will "never" something, the Lord will allow that challenge to be brought right to my "doorstep". The strength of the resolve will be tried and tested, because this is a type of oath, and I usually end up eating my rash proclamations. Except for God's grace and mercy I would not be spared from my own words, and except through His power, I can do nothing. Day by day I call on the Name of Jesus, because he is life and my Light. My promises are frail, but my Abba's promises are reliable and trustworthy.

1 comment:

  1. I would also say be careful of making pledges that you cannot keep.

    ReplyDelete