Thursday, December 8, 2011

Abiding, Pruning, Remaining/Garden Living

There is no place like home, and it has been said that "home is where the heart is".
To a hard heart, John 15 may sound like doublespeak, but I find it one of the most profound passages in the Holy Scriptures, directions for "Garden Living". Jesus tells us, "abide in Me, bear fruit, expect seasons of pruning, and as we bear sometimes painful pruning, don't become angry and confused, instead we must remain in Him. The challenge is how we handle the pruning! The fact is that as we bear fruit we will be pruned. So we shall continue in Him, and as we do everything we are called to do as disciples (followers, imitators)of the Lord Jesus, put the roots down deep, prepare for the various seasons. We drink from the same cup, so understand that we will not escape trouble and difficulties, that these things are being worked out for an eternal weight of glory. We were created to dwell with Him, and real life is only found in Him, abiding in Jesus as He abides in us, this mysterious and amazing synergy, but even rose gardens have thorns! There is a difference between be pruned (lifeless branches being trimmed off) and being cut off. To be cut off is the result of leaving the Garden, tearing off our branch in anger, unforgiveness, pride and attempting to do it "our way". That makes me think of the popular Sinatra song "My Way", which the world loves, but in fact the lyrics are utterly ridiculous. Where does our way lead? "There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death." (Proverbs 14:12)
So, not my will but Thy will, Lord, be done. I don't want to live outside the Garden, no, rather I am His resting place, my heart belongs to Him alone, we dwell in each other, and I gladly accept His blessings and His prunings, working together for His glory, as more fruit and life comes.

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. (John 15:1-8 NIV84)

No comments:

Post a Comment