Monday, December 12, 2011

The Prodigal's Father 239

"Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them." "
Luke 15:11, 12

We raise our children, "train them up in the way that they should go", but how then do we respond when choices made are not our choices, but the choice of one whom we have prepared to leave the nest? The prodigal's father, didn't argue with his son, make him feel wrong or foolish, he gave his son what he asked for, even though he might've thought that his son was headed the wrong way. He recognized that life's lessons, good and bad, are learned by experience, and no matter how convinced we are that we are right, we must release the reigns.

How then are we to respond when mistakes are made, especially after warnings and advice was communicated?
But while the son was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
Luke 15:20
I want my children to know that even when mistakes are made, and they will be (Lord make them smaller ones rather than larger!) that I love them, and love covers a multitude of sins and mistakes.
The truth is that the things that I've done would've made the Prodigal Son blush.
I need to remember what drew me to repentance: lovingkindness, and the arms of a Father that I didn't deserve- not condemnation, judgement, and I-told-you-so's, and extend this lovingkindness to others-in like measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment