Sunday, December 18, 2011

Propensity 115

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:25, 27, 28, 31, 33, 34

People are born with a propensity to worry. It come "naturally", for the natural, fleshly nature. Without the Holy Spirit, without faith, we can only believe as far as we can see; with faith to match our checkbook.
One of my biggest life struggles was that of "little faith"...before my "spiritual revolution", before Jesus turned my tables over and exploded my paradigm of defeat and hopelessness, worry was always there. You see, I said I trusted the Lord, but that 401k was the thing my hope and security was based on, and He knew it.
God is much bigger than any bank account, any financial portfolio, any career position, any temporal thing that which may be here today and gone in the blink of an eye.
Hardship may continue to come, trials in various forms, but regardless, we are to follow the Good Shepherd.
When I am afraid I know I will trust in Him, go to Him, and casting my cares on my Abba, getting "up close and personal" , I can feel Him taking my face in His hands, with such softness and warmth, bringing me right up to His face, eye to eye...gently saying to me..."shhhshh, don't worry, I will never leave you or forsake you, I promise, I am here, comfort, comfort your soul."

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:4-7

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24

No comments:

Post a Comment