Wednesday, December 28, 2011

More

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples,
“Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah;
and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah,
for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church,
and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
Matthew 16:13-19

When does that moment come, that epiphany, when the revelation explodes in our hearts, not just by intellectual ascent, of all who Jesus really is? Peter had been drawn into this discussion by Jesus Himself, and it appears that he was the last to answer.
When faced with the direct face-to-face question by the Messiah, Peter dug down deeply, and in his hunger and thirst, the Father revealed Jesus, in His majesty and glory, to him.
I can only imagine that it was all Peter could do to actually get the words out...I imagine that he was breathless, totally blown away.
As we seek after Jesus He continues to reveal Himself to us in new and awesome ways.
Majestic, glorious, exciting, riveting, unconventional, He calls to us, asking us, telling us:
I am the Way, the Truth, the Answer to every question, the Solution to every problem...to each of us he exclaims: "I give YOU the keys to the kingdom of heaven, and the power to bind and to loose in my Name, as you seek my purposes, and follow after me.
Beloved, keep asking, seeking, knocking.
Whatever your paradigm is, you are about to found breathless.

No comments:

Post a Comment