Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lessons from the Life of Peter

 69 Now Peter was sitting out in the courtyard, and a servant girl came to him. “You also were with Jesus of Galilee,” she said.
 70 But he denied it before them all. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said.
71 Then he went out to the gateway, where another servant girl saw him and said to the people there, “This fellow was with Jesus of Nazareth.”
72 He denied it again, with an oath: “I don’t know the man!”
 73 After a little while, those standing there went up to Peter and said, “Surely you are one of them; your accent gives you away.”
74 Then he began to call down curses, and he swore to them, “I don’t know the man!”
Immediately a rooster crowed. 75 Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken: “Before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.” And he went outside and wept bitterly.Matthew 26:69-74


15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.

When I look at the life of Peter as shown in the Holy Scriptures, I see a man who, although he believed Jesus, struggled with fleshly impulses, preconceived notions of his Messiah, his own impetuosity, his weak love, and poor character - until a resurrected Jesus chased him down, restored him (John.21)and he was later filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2). I see my own life to a great degree in Peter's story : bold, brash declarations and promises made when the emotions ran high, but in a weak moment, or a moment of testing when I was surrounded by mockers and scorners, I denied Him...even as my spirit cried out for forgiveness, and inside I "tore my garments", agonizing over my lack of character and my weak love.
But just like the resurrected Yeshua sought to restore a broken Simon Peter, my Father/Lord/Master/ Bridegroom/King chased me down, broke my heart of stone, tore away the swaddling that I was wrapped in, breathed new life into me, awakened me, spoke to me, embraced me. In Him is purpose-I am a son of the living God, a work He is perfecting, part of the Bride He will return for. I live for Him, I am lovesick... My character change, and the ability to reflect His love and compassion to others is made possible only because of His Great Love.
To me, this is where abundant life begins.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Hugh! I'm working with a young man, about 26, Muslim dad, struggling "christian' mom, 2 prison terms behind him. Pretty sure he was well and truly saved about 18 months ago, but had to go to prison for something he did prior to finding God. Was making decent progress, reading the word, going to church, his language slowly changing, not hanging out with his drink/drug buddies. He expected God to get him off the prison rap. God didn't. Blamed God, angry, being tough in prison, not remembering God, except to yell at him.
    So now he's out, we're meeting again, he's trying again. Knows his old life is a trip to hell, but it's the one he knows. He is trying. Hasn't yet had Peter's experience, so it's a slog, day by day. Would appreciate you prayers. His name is 'Junior' (he hates his muslim name). I believe God has some special plans for Junior!
    Bless you Hugh,
    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kent...praying that God will unleash the Holy Spirit on Junior. Heavenly fire tornados... I pray the REVELATION OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD'S LIVING WORD INTO HIS LIFE TODAY. He can't hide anymore than Jonah or Peter could. A word for him - STOP RUNNING AND SURRENDER. GOD'S eyes are on his heart- he is always on GOD'S mind. Jer. 29:11

    ReplyDelete