Thursday, January 6, 2011

Real Treasure

 16 And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’
18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’
20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’
21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”
Luke 12:16-21

Who has ever seen a u-haul following a hearse? When the secret funeral chambers of the various great Pharoah's pyramids were discovered, all of the items they stored for their afterlives were exactly where they were placed. When John D. Rockefeller passed away, his heirs asked his will's executrix how much he left to which he replied, " He left all of it."
What good does it do to spend your God given time in this temporary life gathering, and laying up what will not last? Our time here is the medium in which the Lord has given us to live and move in, and with it, the ability to make our own choices. He said , "See I set before you a way of life and a way of death...Choose this day whom you will serve...therefore choose life." In the inside-out principles of the Spirit, eternal life and treasures in that world are attained by not amassing fortunes for others to enjoy- but by giving it away, using all of our resources to bless and benefit others, pouring ourselves out, like Mary and her alabaster box. As we pour ourselves out, in relationship with your Father, Bridegroom, and King, who is God, and doing works of justice, kindness, and compassion, as Jesus showed us how to do, our heavenly accounts are deposited into, our heavenly mansions built.
How are you investing your time, energy, attention?
Whose accounts are you depositing into?
As we build His house, He builds ours.

2 comments:

  1. Lord help us be poured out and store up treasures in heaven in Your strength and for Your glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to cling to things that have no lasting eternal value!

    ReplyDelete