Friday, January 14, 2011

You Can Run...

 1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”
 3 But Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the LORD."
Jonah 1:1-3

 "7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
   Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
   if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
   if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
   your right hand will hold me fast."
Psalm 139:7-10


Jonah heard it clearly ... The voice of the Lord giving him a clear concise command. This is not the first time Jonah had heard the Lord, and he was not lazy, or unfamiliar, but Jonah had a specific problem with the Ninevites- he didn't like them at all, and in fact had some prejudice against them, as they were pagans, he saw himself and his people as righteous, and he felt that Nineveh was unworthy of a second chance. He knew, deep down, that the people of Nineveh would heed what God was sending him to say, and they would repent, and he wanted no part of it. He wanted to see their destruction, not their redemption. So he ran and tried to hide from the Lord (like that's really possible!), and so intent was God to have Jonah complete his task that He did the craziest thing- He directs a really, really big fish to scoop Jonah up, and deliver Jonah to his destination! This story is as much about God showing Jonah his own hardened heart and changing him, as the repentance and redemption of 120,000 souls.
We can't hide. His purposes will be accomplished, one way or another, and He is looking for those with hearts that desire His will, purpose, and presence.
Isaiah said HERE I AM LORD! SEND ME!
Lord, Here I am,I am ready, willing, and available. No longer will I try and hide from your good plans for my life. Use me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment