Saturday, January 15, 2011

His Reward

"May the Lamb of God receive the reward of His suffering..."

Somehow, even though I have been a believer for more than two decades, I cannot remember hearing this phrase until a few months ago, As I was listening to Jonathan David Helser's "The Reward". I began to meditate on this, and today it finally hit me: The Reward is ME, and not just me but each of us, all of us, all of what we are! This converges with what the Lord has been pouring out to me- His life in exchange for ours...how then shall I live? He did not suffer and die for my redemption so that I could squander that inheritance. What shall I give Him in exchange for His life? My mediocrity ... hypocrisy ... laziness...self indulgence? Endless vacations and leisure? How can I waste my time on things like constantly being entertained, social networking, and other activities for my selfish gain?
No, the full reward of His life is my life in turn! Jesus said that I must deny myself, follow after Him, and pick up my cross daily,(Luke 9:23-26),that I must love without having it my own way(1Cor 13:5), crucify my own flesh (Galatians 5:24), and my body is meant to be presented willingly as an instrument of righteousness.
There is no more room in my heart for selfishness, I no longer live, but it's Christ in me who lives. I am his slave, My life is not my own, for I have been bought with a price (Galatians 5:19-20). My time and my God-given talents I will spend praying and sitting in the lap of my Abba, feeding my soul with his Word, serving others (not myself), and sharing the Good News.
In light of His suffering, He deserves every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment