Thursday, November 10, 2011

Fearlessly(Work to Do)

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.
With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth,
words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel,
for which I am an ambassador in chains.
Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."
Ephesians 6:18-20

"Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” "
Matthew 28:18-20

"And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ."
1Cor.11:1

Paul had good reason to ask for these kinds of prayers, and plenty of reasons in the natural to be afraid! He was in prison, chained up, and for the sake of the gospel he had endured beatings, threats, stonings, angry mobs, riotous insurrection, shipwrecks, hunger and thirst, exhaustion, poisonous snake bites, and eventually was executed in Rome.
He was unstoppable, unbreakable, fueled by the Holy Spirit.
Remember who assigned him to his new career: He was commissioned by Jesus Himself, this commission planted in his heart never faded, until his last breath left his body.
Beloved, as followers of the Lord & Master, we also have been commissioned.
Compared to what Paul, Peter, John, and the others contended with, our tasks should be easy. Our obstacles are peer pressure, political correctness, concern for climbing out from cozy comfort zones, not wanting to "offend" anyone...perhaps some concern that we will not know what to say, won't have the verbiage to share the Gospel effectively. Guess what? These are all part of the ploy our enemy tries to use to suppress you, shut you up, keep you silent, while those around you are kept from hearing the truth.
But most of us have not had a drop of our blood spilled for the sake of the Gospel.
You, me, all of us as disciples, and imitators of Paul and Jesus-have jobs to do, to share the Gospel, to let our lives, our conduct, our love, be living letters, and as those around us are provoked, the opportunity to share comes, we open our mouths, and the words that the Lord gives us for that person at that kairos moment flow out from us in obedience.
Our own commissions are no less real and important than Paul's.
Today beloved, let us seriously consider this sacred charge and move forward fearlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment