Saturday, November 12, 2011

Why (Part 2)

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death–
even death on a cross!
Philippians 2:5-8

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross."
Colossians 1:15-19

I was talking to my 7 year old about my favorite person/topic/subject, Jesus, the other evening, recounting a few things about Him. I was struck (again) with the dichotomy between His Advent, how He chose to come in the world, in a manger, a seemingly lowly inconsequential birth, with few taking notice, vs. the reality of His being God, His making and maintaining all things, in Him dwells all fullness, power, glory, supremacy, just to name a few of His infinite attributes, and last but not least, how He loves us.
My little daughter asked me once, "why does Jesus love us?". My answer to her, for lack of a better one, was, "because He chose to... and in so saying to her what I know, believe, and live for hit me again, the deep calling unto deep, and my spirit was overcome as the revelation of Jesus washed over me...
He simply chose to. It makes no sense in the natural. The Word says that we can love because He loved us first. (1Jn.4:19) Everything that He did was with us in mind, because of His amazing love for us.
He simply chose to...
In the song "How He Love Us", the lyrics read:
"He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden,
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realise just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me
"

He loves like a hurricane...furiously, sweeping away everything else, it's His incredible undeserved love that has apprehended me. His love draws us, calls us to repentance, makes all things new, brings us joy, faith, and hope, heals our brokenness, completes us.
Everything else is a distant second.
He loves us so!

No comments:

Post a Comment