Friday, August 26, 2011

Exclusive?( No One Left Behind)

“But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.”
John 1:12

Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for the child she has borne? But even if that were possible, I would not forget you! See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands.”
Isaiah 49:15-16a

"In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you."
John 14:2

What is the number of souls that can occupy heaven? Does it matter what race, gender, background, denomination a person came from? Is eternity with the Lord-heaven- an exclusive "club"? What does Jesus mean when he talks about the "narrow way"?
Lately I've talked with a number of people who, are not believers and have no knowledge of the Scriptures, who think the idea that salvation can only come through Jesus as narrow minded, bigoted, and exclusionary. I'm sure you know some also, perhaps you were one of those yourself. But what could be further than the truth? The scriptures tell us that all- everyone- who call on and believe in the name of Jesus will be saved and instantly are adopted as children of God, receiving sonship and the eternal inheritances promised! No one gets left behind except for one reason: they chose not to receive the most valuable gift of all the ages, since God gives us the ability to make our own choices. God will not force us, nor will He drag us to our knees to worship Him. I consider it a privilege to be able to adore the King of Kings. He rescued me, pulled me out of the miry pit, but I first had to look up, and reach out- "extending my hand", in a sense, so that He could take hold of me.
It wasn't fear of being left behind, though, that got to me, that caused me to reach towards my Father, it was a glimmer of the understanding of how desperately He loves me/us, and how He desires to dwell with us all together- b'yachad in Hebrew, where all the stuff that causes division and separation vanishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment