Thursday, February 9, 2012

Focus

"Now as Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Immediately they left their nets and followed Him. Going on from there He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and He called them. Immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him."
Matthew 4:18-22

"Another of the disciples said to Him, "Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father." But Jesus said to him, "Follow Me, and allow the dead to bury their own dead." When He got into the boat, His disciples followed Him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being covered with the waves; but Jesus Himself was asleep. And they came to Him and woke Him, saying, "Save us, Lord; we are perishing!" He said to them, "Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?" Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm.
Matthew 8:21-27

I find it interesting that although Matthew's Gospel records some of the disciples, upon hearing Jesus' beckoning them, immediately left their livelihoods, and followed the Lord, but just a short time later it seems that the cares of the world ("Permit me to go bury my father...") and unbelief ("why are you afraid, you of little faith?")had crept in.
In all honesty, I find the same challenges in my own walk, as I continue to run this lifelong marathon.
The Holy Spirit reminds me though: "Do not look at what is behind you, forge ahead, don't look to the left or the right, as taking your eyes off the prize will cause you to veer off your intended course."
The parakletos also reminds me (us)not to think with a worldly mindset, especially in difficult times; we are to stay focused, walk by faith, and not by sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment