Friday, April 22, 2011

This Blood's for You

 45 From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land. 46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli,[c] lama asavtani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).[d]
 47 When some of those standing there heard this, they said, “He’s calling Elijah.”
 48 Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink. 49 The rest said, “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to save him.”
50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and[e] went into the holy city and appeared to many people.
54 When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!”
Matt.27:45-54

For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Heb.12:2b-3

"Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; All Your waves and billows have gone over me. The LORD will command His loving kindness in the daytime, and in the night His song shall be with me--a prayer to the God of my life." Psalms 42:7,8


Today is Good Friday, a day of reflection for me. A day of pain, anguish, torment, and death by crucifixion for Jesus. The Word says, though, "for the joy set before Him endured the cross"- the joy is our salvation- yours, mine, all who receive Him- that we are on His mind, that He would've endured this awful day for the sake of one soul. That He paid the full price for me ...He is our Saviour, Redeemer, Deliverer, Messiah. I want to really dwell on these words today, on some of the titles we use for the One we also call Immanuel (God with us). We hear them frequently as believers, Christians, but today I want to slow down, meditate, chewing on these amazing facts: MY SAVIOUR, MY REDEEMER, MY DELIVERER, MY MESSIAH. I find myself at the foot of the cross looking up at Him, and see Him looking down at me...although he is battered and splattered with blood, his eyes are peaceful, reassuring, joyful, loving. His love sweeps over me like billows...
I was a condemned man, awaiting execution, stretched out on the cross, as the nails were about to be driven into my hands and feet, when Jesus took my place, releasing me...He is always on my mind, and it is no longer I who live, but Jesus in me...
One of my prayers today is that I would not do the things that put Jesus on the cross, that He redeemed me from, there is no cheap grace. I desire to walk in a manner worthy of His calling, to keep the Commandments and His commands, that others would see a reflection of my Master in me.
Make every day a Good Friday, dwell on Him today- and everyday.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment