Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Computers, Gloves, and Horses/Come Holy Spirit

"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."
Eph.5:18

‘In the last days, God says,
   I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
   your young men will see visions,
   your old men will dream dreams.
Even on my servants, both men and women,
   I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
   and they will prophesy.
Joel 2:28, Acts 2:17-18

Last night my wife and I, and friends were having a discussion about the things of the Lord. The Holy Spirit has really been talking to me about, of all things- Himself!  A glimpse into His nature, His purposes, the dynamics of Holy Spirit occupation of a person.  A couple or three analogies came to mind: the first from the computer world. Most of us are probably aware that there are viruses that can infect a computer and turn that machine into a "slave", where the virus' programming make that computer do it's bidding, except the computer has no choice.
Analogy #2 is  that when the Holy Spirit fills a surrendered person, it is like a hand slipping into a glove. The glove, in and of itself, was formerly powerless and shapeless, but now has power, form, and direction.
Analogy #3 is an untamed, unbroken horse that must undergo what is referred to as "breaking in". As I understand the process, being the "city boy" that I am, the bridle bit is put into the horses's mouth, the saddle strapped on, and the rider climbs aboard. The rider will hang on while that stallion/mustang bucks and thrashes around until it finally exhausts its options and cooperates. The "broken" horse is then able to do the will of the Director/rider, understanding the rider for what he/she is:  owner, friend, boss, even though the animal had previously regarded this stranger with fear, mistrust, trepidation...the horse and rider have become as one entity. The metaphor of the wild horse struck a nerve with me, because it accurately described my rebellious nature. The Holy Spirit waited patiently while I "thrashed and bucked"until I had exhausted every other option.
I understand now how Christ can live in me, and why.
What I never expected, and what continues to blow away old paradigms and notions is how He captures and captivates the surrendered heart...truly a lover and caretaker, Bridegroom and Father, not as an occupying army, that would force His will on me.
His love is so much better than wine, He restores and renews my soul,  His mercies are new every morning...and so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment