Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Request/Decisions

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. "Galatians 2:20

"Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. "
John 3:14-17

"Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed. When they came to the place called the Skull, there they crucified him, along with the criminals–one on his right, the other on his left. Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.
The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, “He saved others; let him save himself if he is the Christ of God, the Chosen One.”
The soldiers also came up and mocked him. They offered him wine vinegar and said, “If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself.”
There was a written notice above him, which read:
This is the King of the Jews.
One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!”
But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don't you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”
Luke 23:32-43

When hanging on the cross next to Jesus, facing imminent death, one criminal chose to insult Jesus, but the other made the very wise request to Jesus to be remembered by him in Paradise. He recognized his desperate condition and at the last moment, he sought and received God's mercy and eternal assurance in heaven was granted.
I was there.
In these days of Yamim Nora'im leading up to Yom Kipper, the Day of Atonement, I was contemplating the ultimate Atonement, Yeshua, and all that was accomplished by Him...I was reading Luke last night, and then suddenly in my spirit hanging on that cross right there next to my Savior. Condemned to death, I deserved punishment. But He loved-loves me (present tense)- and He gave Himself up for me-and also, all who request, confess, and believe.
This truth of our faith is so basic, Jesus 101. I could feel the pain, and the regret of a life wasted, the fear of death, and then I was taken off the cross- Jesus Himself pulling the nails, carrying me down, cleaning me up, healing my wounds, and then taking back His position on His cross...He looked down at me and in His eyes I saw such love and the message : "it's finished, over, and yet it's just beginning..."
As I walk out my life here and move forward on the Way towards the mansion He has prepared for me, I never really leave the cross behind me. Jesus said that I must pick it up daily, but I'll never have to get back up on it again.
Paul said, "Rejoice in the Lord always..."
I will rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment