Saturday, October 15, 2011

Getting To Know Him (My Pursuit)

"As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?"
Psalm 42:1, 2

"My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,
and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God."
Proverbs 2:1-5

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled."
Matthew 5:6

I'm hungry and thirsty. I'm in the place where my heart yearns to be filled with the Lord. Not allowing standing stagnant water in this vessel, but "streams of living water" flowing in me, through me. I understand why Paul counted everything else as if nothing but garbage compared to knowing God. As a Pharisee, Paul had known about God, but when the Holy Spirit came and occupied him he began to know God firsthand. I understand this now...that understanding that nothing else, only abiding in Jesus, and Him in me, matters. Denying myself and picking up my own cross everyday is really not so difficult once my own desires get sacrificed on the alter. I don't care to spend my time playing games, watching TV and movies, Facebook-ing, twittering, or Skype-ing, even when I'm asleep my heart is awake, and the zeal that I have for Him consumes me; it has become my obsession (the only obsession that is good.
I once had a boss who declared to me that, "too much of anything is bad, even God."
Mike Bickel talks about the importance of having this quest, to really know Him, as the lifelong goal of our Christian lives. As disciples, as followers, our goal should be to know Him and abide in Him, to follow Him closely, to do what He did and what He said ,as if glued to Him, not having just a loose, vague, or convenient association. Being a totally sold-out Christian is not about convenience or popularity, is it? Jesus told us that if the world hated Him that they would hate us also...that we will be called to make decisions in life constantly where we must take the high road, following Him, and it will cost us (by the world's standards, and don't fret...it's all garbage and worthless stuff compared to the worth and glory of knowing Him. It's the same feeling to me that one has when they give away things they no longer have use or need to the Salvation Army or Goodwill.)
Paul talked about the secret of contentment; it doesn't matter what your worldly circumstances are. The secret is found in the personal, face-to-face knowledge of the Holy, knowing the Lord as Father, Bridegroom, and so much more ...be filled up to the brim with the Holy Spirit.
Only He will ever satisfy.
Today beloved, apprehend and be apprehended...His Love is far better than wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment