Sunday, October 30, 2011

Not A Vending Machine/Prayers

"On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the palace, in front of the king's hall. The king was sitting on his royal throne in the hall, facing the entrance. When he saw Queen Esther standing in the court, he was pleased with her and held out to her the gold scepter that was in his hand. So Esther approached and touched the tip of the scepter.
Then the king asked, “What is it, Queen Esther? What is your request? Even up to half the kingdom, it will be given you.”
Esther 5:1-3

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."
John 14:12-14

Have you ever had this experience that I'm about to describe ?
You have hardly seen your teenager son or daughter in weeks, you have no idea what is going on in his/her lives, you haven't had any time together, they are so busy doing their own thing, and they just hit you up with a request like this:
"Dad, can I borrow your credit card? Can I have the keys to the car?"
Do you find yourself feeling used, like the only reason you are being approached is because that person wants something from you, but not really interested in spending time having a relationship, knowing you and interacting with you? It's definitely not a good feeling.
So how should we act, interact with our Heavenly Father/Bridegroom/King?
But sometimes isn't this exactly what can be happen in our walk though? No time really spent just being together just sitting before Him, worshipping, and basking in His presence, but instead just reading off the shopping list, hitting Him up for things we desire, using the Lord like a vending machine, a genie in a bottle? How do we expect the Lord to feel, to respond to such requests when He is being used, as opposed to being in relationship with Him, when we desire to do His will, when the Father's ear is inclined towards those He loves, when He "extends His royal scepter" towards us?
"Anyone who has faith in me will keep doing what I have been doing".
Direct our prayers in a manner that has eternal perspective and consequence, promoting kingdom work. Let's ask the Lord for His will to be done through us, and He will provide the tools we need to get the good done. As we learn to think and pray with the mind of Christ and the Holy Spirit, seeking His will and purposes for us, there is no denying that we will be blessed with His goodness along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment