Sunday, October 23, 2011

Why?

"The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body–whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free–and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don't need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don't need you!” On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other.
1 Corinthians 12:12-25

Where I live there are many churches. As I drive on a Saturday or Sunday towards our little church, I pass sign after sign, myriads of signs: turn this way for this church, that way for that church, and I cannot help but hear the scripture here in my mind and heart, and wonder: why so many churches, why so little unity?
I want to know: why do we have such denominations as Episcopals, Baptists, Southern Baptists, Primitive Baptists, Catholics, Protestants, Methodists, Anglicans, and more splinters than I can count, when the Word says ONE BODY?
I want to know where in the Holy Bible we were directed to splinter the body into such denominations?
I want to know: what benefit there is in any of this?
I want to know: who really believes that such fragmentation is pleasing to our Father, fulfilling the divine will and purposes of the Lord, or just satisfying people and fitting God into comfortable cultures and lifestyles?
I want to know: why do so many in ministry consider other churches, and ministers to be "the competition", and fail to see each other as other parts of the same body? Why are efforts to establish unity, continuity, dialogue and fellowship in likemindedness among the churches so scarce,and often times ignored?
Jesus said that a house divided against itself cannot stand (Matthew 12:25)
The word of the Lord to me for the body is simple and four-fold:
1) Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength
2) Love your neighbor, and those in the Body at other churches, as yourself
3) Bear each other's burdens
4) Sharpen each other as iron sharpens iron
It's time for unity, beloved.
One salvation.
One Baptism.
One Messiah.
One Body.

No comments:

Post a Comment