Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Swapping Burdens

2 "Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."
Galatians 6:2

   28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30

When I was a child, I remember seeing a poster from Father Flanagan's Boys Town, of a boy carrying another on his back, trudging through the snow, the caption reading, "He ain't heavy, he's my brother."
The Lord brought this up from my deep memories, as my wife and some other friends - sisters -undertook the lifting of a small burden from a sister who at the moment is quite sick. The need to do household chores, laundry, cleaning, meal preparation, grocery shopping, etc., doesn't stop, and it's a small sacrifice to make a huge difference in someone's life, especially in consideration of what Jesus promises to lift off of us, swapping burdens with us. He tells us to give Him our troubles, cares, heaviness, weariness, and more, and He promises us rest, peace beyond natural comprehension, to lead us beside quiet waters and green pastures. He tells us to take His yoke on us, which is actually a lightness that lifts us up, and to learn His way, the way of love from Him. When we swap with Jesus we are actually strengthened and buoyed up beyond natural our ability, in turn enabling us to hoist the burden from others. This is just one facet of fleshing out what real love looks like.
So today, swap with Jesus, and look for someone that you can help with their load.
It ain't heavy...

No comments:

Post a Comment