Wednesday, July 20, 2011

More Than Enough

"I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2Corinthians 12:7b-8

"Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him"
Job 13:15a

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. "
Philippians 4:12

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal
It is well with my soul-
First 3 stanzas, It Is Well With My Soul, Horatio Spafford, 1873, penned after the death of most of his children who drowned in a trans-Atlantic ocean liner ship wreck

Recently, I was told about a godly young woman who had battled bone cancer,. after treatment and surgery, she enjoyed a period of good health, but the cancer came back and had spread...she and her family were told there were no more options, and as her family greived, and asked the question- Why her, God?" ... the young woman calmly replied, -"Why not me?"

Is Jesus enough for you? When things are going your way, when the wallet and bank accounts are flush with cash, when health is robust, when careers, marriages, or other relationships are going great, we will surely echo how good the Lord is, singing loudly the chorus to , "I Surrender All"...but when health fails, when terrible accidents happen, when storms destroy a dream home and a life's work, when a trusted doctor makes a mistake with awful consequences, when a business closes or rounds of layoffs come, or financial disaster comes...is Jesus enough for you?
He is more than enough! Peace, grace, and mercy radiate from Him, He is the Rock that is higher than We are. This life is a roller coaster, and Jesus has told us ahead of time, that troubles will come, sooner or later, in one form or another, storms will come. There is no other name under heaven by which we can be saved, salvation is assured, yes, and also, He gives us the ability to proclaim - "It is well with my soul".
Beloved, Jesus is not a "baby in a manger anymore...He's not a broken man on a cross" ( Thanks Misty Edwards)- Jesus is the Way, the Truth, the Abundant Life, the Answer to all the questions, everything we need.
In Him we are to take heart...He has overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment