Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Illumination

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
Romans 7:15-25

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"
Jer.17:9

"In Him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."
John 1:4-5

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matt. 5:14-16

"There is no good thing in me..." Paul said it about himself, Jeremiah said it about mankind as a whole, and as I look in the mirror I agree: Apart from Jesus, His light, goodness, and holiness there is no good thing in me. Anything that resembles goodness in myself is His reflection, like the sun to the moon, as I am turned towards him, my face to His face, an intensity that is greater than if I were to look up towards the sun on a bright summer day.
The light is always available to us...the "on" switch, the requirement, is for us to turn towards the Son, our gaze locked on Him.
Keep your eyes locked on Jesus today, beloved, and let His light shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment