Saturday, July 16, 2011

Pouring In/Exhortation, Not Exasperation

 "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord."
Colossians 3:20

"Train up your children in the way that they should go; when they are old they will not depart from it."

"Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord."
Ephesians 6:4

As a child, then as a rebellious teenager, I remember being exasperated and discouraged by my parents. They were not believers, and my father would get frustrated and say things to me such as, " You will never be half the man I am ", and other things that were deeply wounding and damaged my self esteem for decades. I knmayday dad loved me, but he had no spiritual base, and I was haunted by a sense of worthlessness and failure, those words from my father echoing deep inside of me all those years later.
As a son, and a father, I know how I am to be with my children. I am to view them the way my Abba in heaven views me, to draw them with lovingkindness. It doesn't mean that it's always easy for me to do this, especially when my daughters don't respond immediately to me. But I try to remember how my heavenly Dad deals with me, how much He loves me and understands the power of the word that is spoken forth. Talk about the things of God with them, prophesy over them. Words of life must be poured into them, tell them about the secrets to the Kingdom of Heaven, how famous they are in the unseen world- that there are myriads of angels who know their names, how much they are loved- both by us and their heavenly Father. My soon-to-be 18 year old daughter is stepping into her prophetic fulfillment even now, as she is in the middle of an intense worship and praise 6 week program. I'm sure there were plenty of times that I did/do exasperate her, made plenty of mistakes, but words of life have been poured into her...The Lord is doing amazing things with her, and as her dad it's so exciting to see the fruition of things spoken over her, and into her, come to pass.
So when there is tension, when you are frustrated, remember to try not to exasperate. Remember to treat your children in the same manner that our Father treats us.
The baton will soon be passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment