Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Bill of Goods (Snake Oil)

"Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.” 10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’” 11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him."
Matthew 4:8-10

"Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. 30 He said to Jacob, “Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I’m famished!” (That is why he was also called Edom.) 31 Jacob replied, “First sell me your birthright.”
 32 “Look, I am about to die,” Esau said. “What good is the birthright to me?”
 33 But Jacob said, “Swear to me first.” So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob. 34 Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left.
 So Esau despised his birthright."
Genesis 25:29-34

"Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"
John 1:12


I am having to be "Mr. Mom", right now, as my bride of 23 years recuperates from surgery. I am dealing with juggling work, family, etc., and while I was discussing this with a friend, we began talking about how so many people have been hooked by consumerism, "keeping up with the Jones'", no family time, forced to work constantly to pay for the latest and greatest house, car, stuff, whatever... never home, no family life, family relationships, and the above scripture in Matthew 4 came to mind. Many have traded  everything valuable for what in the end is as nothing, even less than nothing, bowing down to the Prince of the power of the air, often inaverdently, falling for prosperity teachings, and other self serving philospophies, gaining the whole world for a moment, but losing that which has real and lasting value, including their very souls, for eternity in the process. The devil is the ultimate snake oil salesman. He's always looking to cheat, kill, rob & destroy relationships, people, spritual legacies- but we have a divine birthright, bestowed on us the moment we believe and receive the Lord Jesus: Children of the Most High God.
Today, focus on that which is lasting and eternal; worship, love, adore the Lord alone, and don't be sold a worthless bill of goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment