Sunday, September 11, 2011

Laying It Down/Remembrance

   9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 17 This is my command: Love each other.
John 15:9-17

"As the head of security for Morgan Stanley Dean Witter,decorated combat veteran Rick Rescorla evacuated 2,700 of his company's employees from the World Trade Center. After everyone in his company got out safely, he rushed back inside to help more people. He died when the south tower collapsed."

"Marine Cpl. Jason Dunham, assigned to 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, at Twenty Nine Palms, Calif.; died April 22 at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Md., of injuries sustained April 14 when he used his body to shield comrades from a grenade explosion in Husaybah, Iraq. He will receive the Medal of Honor."

"Let's Roll!"
Todd Beamer, Flight 93


Dec. 7,1941...Sept.11,2001... Did anyone awaken that day realizing that the ultimate sacrifice would be required of them that day?
Love=Sacrifice. There are no two words, concepts, that are more synonymous. The ultimate model that we have for real love, demonstrated by willingness to sacrifice one's self for others comes straight from above. Our Father loved us so much that He sent his only begotten Son-Jesus-to be the sacrifice for us, so we could have life- while we were yet sinners!
Greater love has no man than to lay down His life for his friends...
We live in times where much has been required of quite a number who have made that sacrifice and I believe, many more sacrifices will be required moving forward. We live in interesting and sobering times, as Jesus spoke of in Matthew 24. Should we fear, try to hold onto that which doesn't belong to any of us to begin with? No- the scriptures tell us that "perfect love casts out all fear", and we know that whoever seeks to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life will save it in the end."
Our lives, the Spirit that makes our hearts beat, our lungs to draw breath, comes from our divine Lover/Sacrificer, not from ourselves... I ask the ultimate question: If faced with such a situation, are we- me...you...any of us, each of us, all of us-prepared to demonstrate love through sacrifice if faced with such a situation?
May we remember what we are all truly capable of, reflecting on the words of our Lord and Savior: "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father."
John 14:12

No comments:

Post a Comment